Monday, July 26, 2010

Great day! I got there to find Greg Sessa already there and setting up. I set up as pilots arrived and the winds increased. But it increased just perfectly and didn't blow out. I was second off behind Bacil and flew South in search of the friendly thermal generator near the main field. Didn't find it at first but after a few passes, we hooked up and I got up. It was definitely active air, some pretty big lift as well as big sink with pops of 1000fpm and better. Most of the thermals were weak and laying over but the strong ones were standing up better and the drift wasn't so bad. For me it was a very enjoyable flight even though I never got more than 1,500' over the ridge. After 1:40 I had to pee so I went to land but I was still more than 1,000' over the field when I got there and it was absolutely boiling. Strong lift all over the place so I beamed back up and went back to the ridge. Flew around a little while longer and tried landing again, this time getting down wasn't nearly as hard. Got my approach set up real nice and this time only used about half the field and stuck the flare for 2:00 airtime. After some pizza I picked up Dan Tomlinson past Greencastle who picked a field that must have had its own zip code. Nice flight, man. Got some video, hopefully it came out alright. I need to get a 16GB memory card, this 8GB card keeps running out before I land.
http://vimeo.com/7035423

No comments: