Monday, July 26, 2010

Flying with an Eagle, June 20, 2009

I had to come up on Saturday and I was staying with a friend in Winchester that night. I planned to get up early and fly Sunday with everyone for Father's Day. So, on my way out to his place on Saturday I decided to stop by Woodstock and maybe do a timelapse or just watch the sunset. I got there and put some streamers back up in the slot getting ready for the morning. It was coming in real nice, maybe a little strong but I didn't consider launching. As I was walking back up to set up my camera, Tony walks up with his glider followed by Randy with his. Well alright then! We all got set up and Tony launched first, nice launch into a lull. He went right up and Randy graciously agreed to self launch. So I got ready and got on launch. Some pretty strong cycles came through so I kept Randy on my nose wires and waited for a lull. When one came, I cleared him, picked up, got level and got off before it ramped back up. Up on the ridge it was strong wth a West cross so I stayed way out front in the giant lift band. The lift was plentiful and strong at times. My vario was pegged at 400 up a number of times, and I'm sure it was stronger than that, my vario just doesn't go any higher. I found strong winds aloft and stayed below 1,000 over launch which enabled a very enjoyable flight. Being heavy on my wing and it being the latest generation Falcon were just enough that I was never in trouble, never being pushed backwards. I just had to stay low and out front. About 20 minutes into the flight, I noticed a large bird out in front of me a little ways. With camera rolling, I started to chase him. He scooted in towards the ridge and I fell in right behind him. It was then that I realized it was an immature bald eagle not more than 15 feet in front of me. I was right behind him for a couple seconds and then he dove off below me. I couldn't help but just laugh, it was so amazing. It was one of those moments I'll never ever forget. I flew for about 45 minutes and it started to get more turbulent so I went and landed. I'm so glad I decided to stop by! Enjoy the video below.
http://vimeo.com/5284281

No comments: