Monday, July 26, 2010

Pulpit - June 20, 2010 - XC to St. Thomas

Nice day at the Pulpit. MarkC, Dave P, Tony D, Carlos, Karen and Matthew. I launched after Dave and Mark and didn't get higher than 300' over for a half hour. I never got below the ridge but didn't find anything good until I ventured out into the valley a little under some clouds. Finally found a good climb to 1,000' over and then another which took me to 2,000' over as I drifted over the back. Dave was in the thermal with me so when it petered, we went downwind. Didn't find much anything in the valley and only made 9 miles. Still, I had a nice landing into the wind and uphill in a recently harvested wheat field right next to a road so I was happy. Dave landed across the street in a similar field. After we broke down Dave went hitch-hiking and didn't get a single brake light for over 4 miles. Once out to Rt. 30 MarkC picked him up and they came and got me. Many thanks Mark and also Dave for joining me OTB. When we got back up top, a student of John's named Dan (another one ) had stopped by to check out the flying after his class at Kirchners Knob. He had picked up Dave P hitch-hiking after an XC a few weeks back and was very interested in the sport. Yesterday was his 4th lesson. A little later John M came by and conditions were perfect so he set up his U2 and had a nice sunset flight along with Matthew in his PG. Congratulations Ellis and Tom, awesome flights! Happy summer solstice!
http://vimeo.com/12785031

No comments: