Monday, July 26, 2010

Pulpit - September 27, 2010

Strange but very cool day at the Pulpit. Watch the video for pretty much the whole story. But for those with dial-up, or no time for such childishness, here's the gist. It was raining when I got there at noon and completely socked in for a couple hours. But I set up anyway, as did John D, and after a couple light showers things started to look better. The clouds on launch cleared in grandiose fashion and spirits soared. Then, so did the velocity on launch. Strong stuff with a high gust factor had us grounded for awhile longer. We took the opportuniy to drop a car in the LZ (thanks Bacil) and I drove down with John's nephew. Wow, that's one bright young man! Back on launch there was more waiting and hoping for the throttle down and as Bacil said, our patience finally paid off. John launched first with me soon after and it was a nice soaring flight in pure strong ridge lift, definitely glad to have the U2 at times. After getting spit in the face for a little while, I decided to land. I'm still getting used to the U2 but my approach was pretty good, just a little too high when I turned on final. I came in pretty fast across the lower field and just kept gliding for-e-ver. Flared a little late but on my feet. And great job to our newest H-2's Greg, Matt, and Chuck! What a fun day to be at the Pulpit!
http://vimeo.com/6790280

No comments: